Women's Health Physiotherapy
Our physiotherapist Madeleine Newton, has undergone advanced training to be able to assess and treat a variety of women's health and incontinence issues.
The pelvic floor muscles and structures play a vital role for continence, organ support and core stability. Pregnancy, childbirth and the ageing process can all contribute to problems of the pelvic floor. Common conditions like pelvic organ prolapse, pain, bladder and bowel incontinence, can be very distressing and impact on a person's quality of life. Our women's health physiotherapist uses detailed assessment and advanced treatment techniques, including the use of real time ultrasound and the most up to date specialized biofeedback devices.
During or after pregnancy, it is common to experience back, pelvis, abdominal, hand and wrist pain. These ailments can be easily managed and treated. Pelvic floor assessment and rehabilitation is also vital in the postnatal period, and needs to be individualised to each person.
We can help you with:
- Pelvic floor muscle training
- Urine leakage with increased intrabdominal pressure (ie- laughing, coughing, sneezing, jumping, sports)
- Other types of Incontinence (bladder and bowel); education, advice and range of treatments
- Defecation difficulties including lack of wind control, straining and bowel function
- Pelvic organ prolapse assessment and treatment options
- Rectus diastasis and other abdominal conditions
- Exercise prescription and posture advice
- Treatment of back, pelvis and other pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other hand/wrist pain
- Application of support braces and belts
- Return to exercise guidelines
- Bowel and bladder habit advice
- Use of ultrasound for feedback on appropriate muscle activation and timing
Women's Health sessions are conducted in a private room setting, in a caring and understanding environment and are kept completely confidential. We understand that these conditions can feel very embarrassing or sensitive to mention, however most can be quite easily identified and managed, so there is no need to suffer in silence. Our goal is to improve your quality of life.
The clinic is open from 8am till late Monday to Friday and 8am till 1pm on Saturdays and bookings can be made through our friendly reception team on (07) 5539 4484.